Students and Teachers Adapt to Harsh Phone Policy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kendyl Piercefield

Through out the years phones and new technology has grown and grown, since this has happened more distractions have been popping up here at BHS. As phones have become more common, the punishments for having out this technology have grown as well, raising questions about best to address the problem. The administration’s goal of cracking down on distractions and getting Batavia High School’s phones under control has been met with mixed reactions.

Why are schools so strict about cellphones being used in the classrooms?

Schools are strict because students like to use their phones to look up the answers on a test or text each other the answers. Students might be spending more time on their phones during school hours instead of doing classwork or paying attention in class. At BHS, phones can definitely be a huge distraction, as students are often caring more about what’s going on on social media or online instead of what’s going on in the classroom.

What punishments await phone policy violators?

Despite the ban on distracting phones and headphones, many students still want to be on their phones. Confiscation, detention, and even extreme punishments such as suspensions can be issued if a student has their phone out during the school hours. If a student refuses to give their phone or headphones, that too can lead to even more severe punishments. But many students are wondering if the consequences of phone use should be on par with those usually given to kids who fight or participate in other, arguably more disruptive, bad behavior.

What are the teachers’ responsibilities when it comes to phones?

The consequences aren’t limited to just students, as teachers are expected to pass along and enforce these punishments and rules. According to Mr. Smith, a teacher at Batavia High School, the administration has met with all teachers to remind them that if the students are caught using their technology they are to take it and send it to the office. If a principal walks in and students are on their phones and the teacher didn’t take them, Smith said, then the teacher could even face suspension. This strict phone policy may cut down on distractions, but the consequences may be too severe. If students or even teachers are removed from the classroom or the school over a phone, then surely they will face even more struggles to teach and learn.