New Seasons, New Beginnings for Holman Stadium

Miranda Holmes

Though Batavia ultimately faced defeat against Williamsburg at Holman Stadium, it was a night that was more about new opportunities than old rivalries. The game opened with a ribbon ceremony for Batavia High School’s new and improved turf field, and showcased the work that the players, cheerleaders, coaches, and community members have been doing to get ready for a great season.

Koren Moore-Runck, a Batavia High School student and Junior Varsity cheerleader, has attended Batavia since pre school. Runck stated that a lot of work has been put into the field opener, such as practices, new cheers, decorations around the school and staying positive about what it means to be a Bulldog.

As a new tradition, the Bulldogs are going to make an effort to make the visiting team feel more welcome than they ever have before. “The cheer dance, winning some games, and supporting our boys is what I am most excited for this season,” Moore-Runck said.

Moore-Runck stated that during the beginning of the season she and her team faced challenges with struggling in some practices and disagreements among fellow cheerleaders, and she wishes they had separated the teams into under and upperclassmen.

However, despite challenges, Moore-Runck was excited. “My favorite part about being a cheerleader at Batavia High School is that I get to support my school, and my friends. Not only that but I have the opportunity to cheer with my friends on the track by our brand new turf field,” Moore-Runck said.